Thursday 13 April 2023

Blood up the Sudan

 A test game using Blood and Steel for a series of Sudan games.

And right from the get go it just looks right.

The Mahdists have the "Ambush" mission, and I push the Camelry up behind the central hill.  Its the Dervish Camel Death Squad.

And the Mighty Egyptians sneak some Anatolian Skirmishers up the donga.  Blame it on the Turks I say.

I unleash the camel juggernaught.  They are optimistic.

But with a "Trussian" level of competence it seems the Camel squal are all rhetoric.

And across the board the Egyptians have a vast firepower advantage.  It wears the Dervish down.

My sweeping attack on the left is swept backwards by the incoming fire.

Even when the Dervish succeed its a suicide mission.

I get them into contact but have no way to wear the Egyptians down.  Still the melees are close.

We damage the Egyptians but my ambush mission fails.  Wait a minute, that man, that Officer, Major Pea.  He's clearly running away.  Shame!  What would the Queen say?

But he claims it was his mission to run away.  Shame I say.  No wonder he is the only officer among the Petains to never win the VC.  Who has the club chicken Feathers?

The end game.  The Dervish can't win it, and have lost a third of their men.

Indeed, we figured out that the dusty bin basing system makes casualty counting difficult.  Apart from that the game really looked the part.

I'm keen on the idea of doing some "Sudan patrols" style games.  The 21st Lancers or the Camel Corps for instance.  A useful set of rules these.

No comments:

Post a Comment