Friday 14 April 2023

The Brigadier's drinks cabinet

"Carefully chaps! Old Ma Finnigan's Agéd Port Wine is stored in that drinks cabinet."  To no avail.  We were back in the Middle East, facing the Turks  and General "Squitty" Farthingdale was spotted first, and off his blind, firmly at the rear.  Far too far to the rear!

Non the worse for being safe in the rear "Squitty" pressed on with his plan  I say "plan" but really ...

Forwards, but where are the Turks?

The Turks turn up in nasty looking trenches, but I'd ordered advance onto the hill, so we hunkered down barraged them and opened fire.

And brother Johnny Turk takes a proper pounding.

Although Farthingdale is so busy sorting out his mess and redirecting the guns he can't get forward.  Port anyone?

In a rare moment I roll a great dice score, only to be told " too many dice."  I roll again, confident in my Karma.

Smug?  Me?

The drinks cabinet inches forwards.

My left hand battalion have orders to occupy the rear of the hill, precisely where the Turk second trench line is now being bombarded. But they are exposed to the third Turk position now on their flank. 

And the pounding goes on.  If not for the rough taste of the Port I would feel sorry for Johnny Turk.

And the third Turk position wallows my exposed guys again.  So much so I pull them back planning to redirect the guns.  But Farthingdale is still rear echelon and can't see this position yet.

My vulnerable battalion pull back, but still suffer from machine gun fire.

The Turks flee the central hill, but Farthingdale can't yet redirect his fire.  Still he has managed to get the port open.

Good game, and a welcome return of an old favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment