Thursday 28 July 2016

Uriah begins to recruit his mighty host



In their fabulous Biblical range Wargames Foundry produce a chariot borne Ramesses that is a true King among 28mm figures.  The Pharaoh wearing the (blue not red!) crown of the Two Lands comes with the chariot, driver attendants and a chained lion.  It is a statement of regal power, and I wanted one to start my army!



Beyond this I had some difficult decisions to make.  I don't have space or inclination to muster a full DBM size army, the rules I want to use don't really require it, and I suspect that the bank manager would be in touch.  Using Phil Barker’s DBA army lists as a guide to the proportions of troop types I'm after seemed like a good place to start.  Both Sword and Spear rules and a version of Lion Rampant, henceforth to be known as Chariot Rampant require far fewer figures.

I want to limit each of my biblical hosts to around 10 packs of figures.  Some will be more, some far less.  For Chariot Rampant these will be based separately, but I will use textured bases to combine them into elements for “bigger” Sword and Spear games.  A base will hold one chariot, five Infantry or two chariot runners.   Since the Egyptians will be first I'll use them to explain my plan.

The four chariots I require are relatively straightforward. These come with a Chariot Runner that will give me a few extra figures, and comprise my two Psiloi bases for the DBA list.  I will need four bases of Infantry Spearmen and two of Archers as the solid line of Egyptian Infantry.  Add in a pack of command figures and I reckon that is eight packs, although the chariots are more expensive than the foot.  I would probably add some civilians and of course Ramesses in his chariot.  I know that’s an extra chariot but I'll need one for Sword and Spear as my General.   That is ten packs.

... and I'll try to remember to paint that headdress blue!

My order to Foundry included the Libyans and the beginnings of the Sea Peoples.  The Libyans need a Sea People chariot, and in this case it's a Hittite, although I will re-crew the vehicle with a Libyan chieftain.  I suspect some blu tack will be used for that since the Hittites will want thier chariot back when I raise the forces of Hatti.  
The Libyans are straightforward.  A pack of warband type close combat foot wielding the sought after bronze swords, probably traded from Cyprus, several bow armed skirmishers, and armed handful of javelinmen whom I will use in the the skirmisher role for Sword and a Spear but as more close order fighters for Chariot Rampant.

For the Sea Peoples I was more sneaky still.  Uriah in his chariot obviously, but also some swept back hair Sheklesh, and some very very similar looking desert nomads with Swept Back Hair,  the Shassu.  16 figures, a warband of ten and a skirmish group of 6, lead by Uriah himself.  These can double as Habiru desert nomads or Sea Peoples.  

So, my first order is a big double up, that will supply all of my armies apart from the main Sea Peoples and the Canaanite/Hittite force (and yes,  I intend to double up.  Three heavy chariots, four light, and a mix of Hittite and Canaanite foot)  

I will fess up here too.  I intend to paint the Libyans dark skinned.  They will be doubling as Nubians for a while, and I've been to the Sahara… painting these guys as fair skinned?  Don't make me laugh.  Anyway such jiggery pokery saves me 60 quid.

Down to brass tacks.  20 packs.  The cost so far, and I won't pull punches… £254.
If you say it quickly it seems smaller.  Trouble is… I've only just started, but I need to paint these boys before I go deeper.

Uriah

Fortified by wine,
Armed with plastic,
His purse now rests,
Many shekels lighter.

4135    Ramesses the Great - E038    £16.00    1   
4136    Egyptian & Nubian Civilians - E029    £12.00    1   
690    Egyptian Command - E001    £12.00    1   
699    Egyptian Armoured Chariot - E031    £14.00    1   
700    Egyptian Light Chariot 1 - E032    £14.00    1   
701    Egyptian Medium Chariot 1 - E033    £14.00    1   
704    Egyptian Command Chariot 2 - E036    £14.00    1   
714    Egyptian Spearmen 1 - E013    £12.00    1   
715    Egyptian Spearmen 2 - E014    £12.00    1   
696    Egyptian Archers 3 - E022    £12.00    1   
713    Egyptian Chariot Runners 2 - E012    £12.00    1   
4547    Libyan Command - LIB001    £12.00    1   
4548    Libyan Archers 1 - LIB002    £12.00    1   
4549    Libyan Archers 2 - LIB003    £12.00    1   
4551    Libyan Swordsmen 2 - LIB005    £12.00    1   
4552    Libyan Javelinmen - LIB006    £12.00    1   
1216    Sea People with Swept Back Hair (Sheklesh) - SEA016    £12.00    1   
671    Armoured Chariot 3 - CSM013    £14.00    1   
667    Shassu Bedouin (Desert Nomads) - CSM009    £12.00    1   
4134    Egyptian Noble Household & Soldiers Training - E028    £12.00  1

1 comment:

  1. Heads bowed in reverence,
    The players acknowledge
    Such mighty spending,
    So bravely borne.

    ReplyDelete