Monday 10 October 2016

Uriah recruits a second Bronze Age host.

The second tranche of my Bronze Age project has been a compromise.  I was torn between building the Sea Peoples or the Canaanites.   In the end I sort of did both and neither.  A third tranche will obviously be necessary… but  won't need to be as large.  Once again I went for Wargames Foundry.  They meet my requirements exactly, and in terms of 28mm (25mm really) figures are something special.  I will replace the pictures with those of my own figures as soon as I can.

The order was for 13 packs, and you better start blinking now, because once again the cost was eye watering.

Product #1: Sea People with Tight Turbans (Teresh) - SEA017/1 @ £12.00
Product #2: Sea People in Helmets (Ekwesh, Weshwesh, Lukka) - SEA015/1 @ £12.00
Product #3: Sea People in Crowed Leather Helmets (Peleset, Tjekker, Denven) - SEA013/1 @ £12.00
Product #4: Sea People in Horned Helmets(Sherden) - SEA012/1 @ £12.00
Product #5: Sea People Command - SEA011/1 @ £12.00
Product #6: Canaanite Command - CSM001/1 @ £12.00
Product #7: Canaanite Spearmen 2 - CSM006/1 @ £12.00
Product #8: Canaanite Armoured Chariot 1 - CSM011/1 @ £14.00
Product #9: Canaanite Light Chariot 1 - CSM014/1 @ £14.00
Product #10: Canaanite Light Chariot 2 - CSM015/1 @ £14.00
Product #11: Egyptian Light Chariot 1 - E032/1 @ £14.00
Product #12: Egyptian Command Chariot 1 - E035/1 @ £14.00
Product #13: Egyptian Light Chariot 2 - E034/1 @ £14.00

The last three chariots complete my Egyptians, the biggest of my Bronze Age armies, and will form my second chariot squadron “Ptah,” for Sword and Spear.  I cheated a little and had already boosted my original Foundry Egyptians with some North star ‘Kadesh’ range Sherden Guard, Spearmen and bowmen.  They are significantly taller than my Foundry figures, but will be forming my elite foot units.

The New Kingdom Egyptians will be an impressively large army, pretty much the mainstay of my Bronze Age project.

Old Nestor, drafted into the Sea Peoples.
The Sea Peoples part of the order is for 40 figures, three of the five warbands I will need, plus the command figures and chariot swap-out warriors.  I already have a Sheklesh warband, who will double as (and according to Rohl are obviously the same as….) Shassu Bedouin, as well as Sheklesh skirmishers.  Lastly I can field three chariots, after adding old Nestor and his streakers (a pack of Mycenean skirmishers… tiny tackle out…)   All of that leaves the Sea Peoples pretty close to complete, perhaps with another couple of packs in the third order.  (More Peleset probably.)

For the Canaanites I decided that I really only needed the core starter force.  Three chariots, 8 command and 8 spearmen. From this I can probably fudge together a spear levy unit, some skirmishers and a single chariot squadron.  The Shassu can obviously support the Canaanites, so my next, and hopefully last order for the Bronze Age will be to boost the Canaanites by another six chariots, as well as the finishing bits and pieces I will need, including some cattle, goats and a Nile crocodile.

The Hittites are probably a step too far for my project.  After deep consideration I will rely on their Canaanite allies to battle the Egyptians, possibly with an Anatolian Prince or two (ok so the Sea Peoples) lending support on behalf of the empire.

My big money saver is a box of 1:72 Caesar Miniatures Nubians. Against a standard 28mm figure they look like pygmies.  Beside the essentially 25mm Foundry the 23 mm tall plastics look pretty similar if slightly slimmer, and I will take the trouble to boost the height of the base by a millimeter or so.  The plastic Nubians come 42 to a box, enough to make a reasonable force, warband, bow and skirmishers, for 8 quid.

I have a lot of painting to do before I can get to that first game.

No comments:

Post a Comment