Saturday 11 March 2017

Captain von Wießmehr's triumph at Fim de Bunda

Gilesgate Publishing's "Idiot's Guide to Portugal" calls Fim de Bunda "a picturesque native village, unfortunately named."  (Literally it means "the arse end")  The guide continues... "however this was the scene of a desperate struggle during the Peninsular war, when in August 1808 the 60th Rifles fought an aggressive and ultimately triumphant battle against the 27th du Ligne, who were acting as General Delaborde's rearguard on his retreat from the field of Rolica."


The 60th rifles had the following plan of the battlefield, drawn up by their sinister and somewhat scary Exploring Officer.

I had a few issues to do with terrain, since I wanted to use my 28mm figures for this game, and my Peninsular project is very much in it's early stages.  I had been making some walled gardens, and indeed they can be seen in the photograph of the battlefield proper, but it turned out that the damned rendering was still wet so I couldn`t use them.  



The second building was my privy.  Every village should have one! I fudged the third building by using some walls and the large gate.  I really must get back to creating more buildings!

The Captain`s orders were for a straight-forward attack, down the left flank.


 So! I ended up on the Torres Vedras road after all. Typical bureaucratic cock-up - not surprised.
Right, let's crack on and get stuck into these Frenchies.

Deployment point in the middle of the edge of the three small gardens tile. Secondary point as far forward as possible from that.

Speed is the object here, shock and awe.
All three skirmish groups to occupy the two small buildings and environs and cover advance of the three line groups at pace along same side of the road.
If the Count of Pantyloons complains then he'll find himself swivelling on the end of me boot! What an absolute shower.

 The game ran like clockwork.  I had planned to use the French in two halves, either side of the road. 

Lieutenant Brûlé to the left. Major Finguin to the right.
The French defend their Officer, who is hiding in the privy.

The Captain has lost none of his skills.


Lieutenant Brûlé  emerges from the privy, a happier man...

The Wachtmiester leads some skirmishers to engage the French left.

Sergeant Feringno leads a group to support the Captain

The Count of Pantalones and his body servant Acmet arrive on the field.

The Captain drives off the French skirmishers and pushes up to the Privy.  Where did that French Officer go?

The 60th Rifles begin to take down the French Group.  Brûlé has been killed, or perhaps retreated back into the Privy!

The Major attempts to hold on the French left

Binky pushes his own group up, supprioted bt the Wachtmiester.

Binky triumphantly volleys and charges

The French run for it

The end game.

The Count is unhappy to have missed the fighting, and has to wait for his turn in the privy.

As night falls a Staff officer turns up at the battlefield.  None other than Sir Augustus Farthingdale himself...
"Ah Qwinthy, what are you doing on this woad old chap?  You are meant to be over therwe ain`t you?  Ah well nevwer mind.  Splendid job."
With that he rides off towards Captain Quilp.



2 comments:

  1. Jolly good stuff; I was wondering why I was on the wrong road. It wasn't just me then!
    I'll try and get my orders to you this weekend - I've been distracted with some Bronze Age stuff.
    Toodle Pip,
    Quilp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, you underestimate Sir Augustus ability to confuse and confound staff planning.
    This was a great game, and I`m a total convert to Dawns and Departures. Nowhere else would you get a French Officer who turns out to be suffering from dysentery, and has to keep disappearing into the privy.
    Dilettante that I am it looks like I`m focused on the Napoleonics for a few weeks. Mind you after the massive electrical storm we had here last night I`m stuck indoors for a few days anyway. Honestly the road outside the house was a river, and this morning is filled with rocks that washed down with the flood.
    Love it here!

    ReplyDelete