Tuesday 11 July 2017

The Nile Paddle Steamer Firkit



Paddle steamers formed a key part of operations during the 1884 Sudan war.  Indeed the steamers sent down the Nile in a desperate attempt to rescue General Gordon famously arrived only two days late.  Differing from purpose built river gunboats these were pleasure craft and working boats already on the Nile, taken into British service, although often given additional welded plates or sandbag defences.

The Firkit is named after a town on the lower Nile, 'Firket' (or Ferkeh, take your pick)  An alternate source for the name is the rumour that the Captain, Hieronymus Haddock, was often to be found on his bridge shouting “More speed ... oh Firkit.”

I began with 5mm balsa and cut out a 20cm deck shape.  I wanted this size for the tabletop, and the shape looked about right.  The “tail” at the rear is for the paddle wheel which will be mounted on this balsa base to give the model strength.

Since my figure collection is 20mm I wanted the model to accommodate some Newline Designs sailors.  As I built it however I realised that I was coming nearer to 15mm figure size.  Bath-tubbing generally works for me,  I use 10mm buildings with 15mm figures so  I went with what looked right rather than rigidly going for 20mm sized doors and windows.  

The cabin structure on the lower deck were formed from balsa, and then the upper deck from a thick card.  

A lip of thick card edged the balsa of the main deck, nipped with holding clips for the glue to set.  I left a 20mm gap around the cabin structure, mainly because my figures are based on those size of washers.  I intend to give enough room to evacuate the Queen's Own if needed.
 
Once the glue was set I fixed the funnel and upper works.  Then the fiddly work of building sandbags from air drying clay began was done, I set the railings in place, using slivers of bamboo, and scratch built a gun for the foredeck by using the end of an old paintbrush and some balsa.

Can`t help but think that I made the rear wall of those sandbags one line too high., but they look fine with 20mm figures behind them.

Any gaps at this stage were given a coat of filler, and I made sure to place some rough filler between the paddle wheels and at the bow to represent white water.
 
The  spare clay went to making lifebelts, barrels and stores boxes, as well as some struts for the paddle wheel.  

A large barrel went just behind the funnel, presumably Captain Haddock's private rum store.  Rumour has it that, like me, he is an Admiral Daiquiri man.

I used more clay to make a rope pile on the port side lower deck.  More bamboo was used to make the mast, although in the finished model this is removeable for storage. 

Fitting some of my Rajput Infantry around the vessel gave me a size check.  I can fit three into the bow section, or perhaps a gattling gun.  So far so good...

With the main body painted in "Vajello Iraqi sand" I use their "Sand" colour to paint the defensive sandbags.  

The paddle steamer "Firkit" was beginning to take shape.  I gave the lifebelts a touch or red and white, hoping this was not a sign of wargaming things to come.  The ship's name went onto the forebridge, but I darkened it after this picture was taken.

The last thing to do was the rigging.  I used a thin nylon strip recycled from the black netting from some Morrisons' oranges.  (the same netting that will form my Dardanelles Anti-Submarine nets in another scratch build project I`m attempting)  The fore and aft rigging crosses the mast, but it can still be dismounted for storage of the model.  

Under "The Men Who Would Be Kings" I intend to claim the paddle steamer as a crewed weapon on the foredeck, plus an Irregular rifle group (my 12 Newline Designs sailors) in good cover behind the sandbags.    I estimate the steamer to be around 9 points, moving at 6" per turn upstream, 8" downstream.  It will be interesting to see what kind of officer "Captain" Haddock is.

The groups count independently, although based on the vessel.  If the vessel is within 1" of the river bank the Sailors can disembark, as per moving across a linear obstacle, but equally in such a position it can be stormed by enemy chargers.  I made a balsa boarding plank for just that purpose.  Now that would be a fight I would like to see.

So that's the Firkit, built ready for action, and awaiting her chance to supplement the Queen's Own Minifigs on the tabletop.  Equally however, and here is the really devious bit, the Dervish also siezed and used paddle steamers.  Clearly Haddock is something of a mercenary, so my opposition can expect to see my 20mm Dervish crewing the boat too.  The Sneak of the Sudan strikes again!


5 comments:

  1. An epic sneak! I look forward to admiring her shapely thrusting bow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has epic lines, and a steady thrusting rear paddle... I look forward to putting her through her paces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good sneaky stuff. I'm currently in the hotel departure lounge so it's providing a spot of entertainment whilst I wait. Actually, my secret project will fit right in with this. Will we be seeing her bottom tomorrow?

      Delete
    2. I think that the plan is a return to Dux B tomorrow, but I'm easy. The Naval crew for the Firkit, as well as my second unit of the Queen's Own and yet another Dervish Cavalry unit will be finished by then. What Ho!

      Delete
    3. We can stay in the Soudan, no problem. As we have the 12' x 6' we may need to be flexible with distances and ranges though.

      Delete