Saturday 4 February 2023

SQUARE BASHING GALLIPOLI

 I've been meaning to revamp my 15mm WW1 figures for some time now, but real life just seems to get in the way. Although, originally intended for 'If the Lord Spares Us' - a game we really must get back on the table soon -  I thought I'd give Peter Pig's 'Square Bashing' a try. I bought these during lockdown and played a couple of solo games but this was to be their first outing at the club.

The figures need a bit of a 'refresh' to their paint jobs and I want to redo some of the bases but it was nice to get them on the table again. It turns out that an ITLSU brigade sized force transforms to a SB division quite easily. The main difference is that SB uses a lot of on table guns. I have the requisite guns on order but unfortunately they haven't arrived yet - hence we used cardboard counters for the field guns. I know but what can you do?

The sides deploy with the Turks holding the line of the road.

We used the army lists from the rules, which means that the Turks are largely reservists with a much bigger army than the British.

After 'depletions; the Turks have 6 battalions, off table in the
reinforcement area but still hold the line in strength.

Turkish Higher Command

In the pre-battle game, two of my British battalions were upgraded to professional. I decided to mass all 6 of my Professional battalions on the right flank, in an attempt to take 2 of the objectives - the mosque and the wood.
However, as the attacker deploys first, the Turks deployed a strong force, including machine guns and hasty defences, to block my advance.



The first British attack goes in but is repulsed.

It turns out that frontally assaulting machine guns and wire is a bad idea - who would have known? However, as half my infantry were deployed on this flank I had no option but to try again - seems very WW1, I suppose.

The adjacent Indian brigade threatens the Turkish centre.

The British left is hit by a very effective point barrage.

A retaliatory British barrage breaks the Turkish centre
but they are subsequently rallied by high command.

A second assault is also thrown back and the British retire to regroup
and call in artillery support which never turns up.

I spent 3 turns trying to summon up some artillery - in desperation I even tried gas. However, all attempts were unsuccessful and, as my artillery assets were all used up, there was no choice but to send in the infantry again


The third attack is bloodily repulsed. The subsequent morale test was a disaster
and both brigades were forced to retreat with some battalions routing.

The much depleted British left is decimated by artillery - again.
The Turks don't seem to have any problems summoning up artillery!

The British position was now looking desperate and in a last ditch attempt I moved the Indian brigade from the centre and assaulted the Turkish defences for a 4th time. Surprisingly, against all the odds, the assault was successful and 2 Indian battalions stormed onto the hill.

The Indian brigade take the hill.  

The ousted Turkish defenders subsequently routed but it was too little too late as the game countdown was reached.

Although, we have a number of Peter Pig games, we never bother with the convoluted victory point system. In this case, it was obviously a decisive Turkish victory.

A very enjoyable game. I have a few reservations, which I'll probably  detail later, but we will definitely be playing this again.



No comments:

Post a Comment