Saturday 28 January 2017

The MPGC list of Great Captains

Since I am enjoying an afternoon sampling the bars of Paphos I thought that I would set the esteemed committee of the Petains a challenge.   Identify the individuals you would call the Great Captains.  I have not used Google or anything else reference wise, but this is my guess, with several under considerations added in.

Notice that a true Great Captain seems to be recognisable by just one name, or can you think of an exception to that rule?
Also, just being a Great isn't necessarily a qualification.  I haven't listed Peter or Alfred...

Farthingdale's list

Alexander
Hannibal
Scipio
Caesar
Marlborough
Frederick
Napoleon
Nelson
Rommel

Under consideration
Seti
Wellington
Patton
Saxe
Edward IV
Timur
Zukov
Saladin
The Lionheart

2 comments:

  1. If you're going to have Marlborough I would have Eugene as well. Also I would definitely include Gustavus Adolphus...and Jean-Luc Picard .... of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gustavus Adolphus I accept but note that he is only recognisable by two names, Eugene is also a real possibility. I think I missed Belisarius from my list too. I cannot accept Picard because, in addition to being a Borg collaborator, his career pales beside that of James Tiberius Kirk.

    ReplyDelete