Tuesday 23 August 2022

Trouble up the Donga

In a nod to the terrain of Zululand we deployed a donga and rolling hills as well as tall grass areas onto the weekly battlefield.  It was pointed out that the donga was clearly the creation of a master craftsman, a work of genius.  I  pointed this out with no sense of embarrassment since I was the bloke what done it.


The thin end of the donga.

And the running tokens indicate that the Zulu have "run to ground."

The British cautiously deploy

Turns out that a donga is just as attractive as a hill in terms of getting troops into it.

I run at the British, but again and again I'm knocked back

Worse, even when I get into combat I'm beaten.  The national Characteristic  stats of the British seem a little Hollywood.

But we do kill a few of them


The British form up a line, the Zulu hide in the grass.

The colour is saved.  It seems Lt Pea wasn't killed in vain last game.

A desperate fight around the colours.

And the British dice are excellent.  They shield the withdrawing colour.

The remains of the Zulu cower in the tall grass.

The last turn.  All the Zulu can do is fire a ragged volley as the British rescue their colours.

As a step ahead with the Zulu I intend to add a second group of Musket men, which seems fair enough since the Zulu had far more guns than the British.

The Imperials have a group of Natal Native Infantry yet to be painted, and I may add another, as well as some Natal/Boer cavalry.  My intention is to make the "British" a more diverse, historically accurate force.

I've really enjoyed these few Zulu games.  A small figure collection but the Blood and Steel rules worked really well to give three excellent games in a row.  Its a period I will dip back into in future.


No comments:

Post a Comment