Wednesday 22 February 2017

The first house for my Peninsular War

Living in Cyprus places some restrictions on my Wargaming budget.  The postage is prohibitive, and I have discovered that I quite enjoy scratch building terrain.  I had always planned to construct three buildings for my Peninsular war setup.  The first of these was completed today and I just wanted to blog the process.

Laminate foam board seems unknown in Cyprus so the basic shell is recycled card.  This was built and the detailing added.

Half way through this build I realised that I had a problem.  As soon as I fitted a roof it became obvious that the single tilted flat roof looked wrong.  I was forced to reassess, and re-shape the rear of the building.  It needed a rear sloping roof as well as ridge-tiles.

The basic shell.


The rear view.

The flat pantile roof from paper straws.

The roof modified.  

The roof in place, with ridge tiles.

The rendering done in plaster.  Roof undercoated in burnt umber.

Dry-brushed walls and the pantiles finished in terracotta

The rear of the house - no doors yet.  
Lieutenant Pantalones of Colonel Trant's Portuguese Legion, with private Jack Jones of the 4th Foot, inspect the building.


2 comments:

  1. Another masterpiece. What next? A windmill?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nay, nay and thrice nay... a taverna seems more appropriate. Wine before bread!

    ReplyDelete