Tuesday 11 September 2018

Winter of Discontent

OK, so it’s only autumn and the discontent is only really a niggle but the phrase seemed apposite. Yes we’re talking Wars of the Roses here. Now, as fellow Petains will be aware, I have a reasonably large WOTR collection in 10mm scale that I game with using Peter Pig’s ‘Bloody Barons’. However, for some time now, I’ve not been happy with the basing and have been considering a rebase. Don’t get me wrong, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with the style of basing or the base dimensions, in fact I rather like the Peter Pig style square bases, no it’s the actual basing material / colours that I don’t like. The main problem is that the bases have a sort of camouflage effect that obscures the figures and with my ageing eyes I really need the figures to ‘pop’. I have actually bought some replacement bases but I just haven’t settled on an alternative basing scheme yet.

10mm troops - I know the photo is blurry but then again so are my eyes!

Anyway that’s just a long winded way of saying that a WOTR project has been at the back of my mind for some time now. As it happens a fellow member of ‘the other club’ also has a 10mm WOTR collection, currently unpainted, but has never settled on a set of rules. Whilst I really like Bloody Barons, they’re far from perfect and I have ‘tweaked’ them to better reflect my preconceptions. They do give a cracking game though and they have been very popular at the club. Are they just that though – a game? How well do they reflect the warfare of the time? To be honest, I’m not sure and ultimately I’m not even convinced that the question can even be answered. However, I do fancy taking a fresh look at the period and re-examining some of my own preconceptions. Somewhere, buried in the depths of my war room (aka the garage) I have a notebook containing my thoughts and ideas on the period but this may be a better way of recording the project. I also know that some of the Petains are ardent medievalists so hopefully this will serve as a source of useful discussion points – even if only carried out in the pub.
So first off I want to look at some alternative rule systems. For the purposes of this exercise, or at least to begin with, I shall restrict this study to rules that are period specific. At the moment I have copies of Poleaxed 2, Bloody Barons, Tree of Battles, and Coat of Steel plus I have borrowed a copy of, the snappily titled, ‘For Lords, Tomorrow is a Busy Day’. I’m sure other rule systems are available but this selection will be more than enough to begin with.

Poleaxed 2, Pat McGill and Dave Lanchester, 2001

“For, Lords, To-morrow is a Busy Day”, Keith John Warren, 2001


Bloody Barons, RFCM, 2005

A Coat of Steel, Perfect Captain, 2010

The Tree of Battles, Simon MacDowall, 2012



No comments:

Post a Comment